What kind of addins do you need?

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2008 at 9:03 AM
On this topic we can collect ideas for new Addins.$0If the ideas are useful, I will try to implement them :-)$0
Oct 21, 2008 at 11:18 AM
Hi. I have just tried SQL2008 & SSMS, and the debugging is great, but I have to use a lot of declared temp tables, and the debugger can not show the contents of the table

declare @MyTable as table
(
    Field1 nvarchar(10),
    Field2 int
);

insert into @MyTable
    select ....

It would be great to have a Debugger Visuallizer to show the contents of the table @MyTable

Thanks

Peter
Oct 22, 2008 at 7:12 AM
Some incentive to select sql queries as a whole ?

That will save a lot of trouble and time.. what do you say?
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2008 at 8:39 AM
Hi itachisan,

thanks for your comment.
But I don't understand what you exactly mean with "select sql queries as a whole"?

Thanks for further explanation.
Stefan
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:04 AM
sorry for my previous comment.. it doesn't make any sense

i am asking for a shortcut to select the text in a sql statement(select/update/delete statement) at once.

got my point?
Oct 23, 2008 at 12:31 AM
How about crow's foot diagrams to replace the nonintuitive key/infinity relationships?
Oct 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM
Data pump. Obviosly this is something noone wants to take care of, I'm still quite busy to write one :(. Anyway, nothing too elaborate, do not take table depedencies into account, just extract data from and generate INSERT (and optionaly DELETE) statements.$0$0$0
Nov 5, 2008 at 2:31 PM
In SQL Server 2008, we could set a custom color for registered servers. But, in fact, this useful feature doesn't work (try to change the connection by menu bar or another way, and the color doesn't change).

I think that this simple addin (not really a status bar; it could be a toolbar...) could be one of the most downloaded.
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2008 at 2:28 PM
Hi achristov,

I am glad to introduce the new Addin called DataScripter.
Please take a look at it. It might be what you wanted to have!

Thanks for your comment,
Stefan
Nov 6, 2008 at 4:32 PM
Mmmmm... I think DataScripter is a cool feature, but it's necessary to consider more things. Ok, it's a beta, I'm only suggesting ideas :)

But, for example, what's happen when the table has an identity column? or when the data exists on the target table? Could be an option to delete first or check if exists and update the data.

Or, instead of script all the data, show a window to select just a few records (typing the WHERE clause)...

Again, I'm only suggesting...
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jun 3, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Greetings. Here is a feature I would like to see added to SSMS. In IDE's I have used for other DB's (e.g. TOAD for Oracle) there has been a query/statement history cache that would save the last queries/statements I have executed and then I could open a window to show the query history using a keyboard shortcut and then select a history item to have it copied to my Query Window. This cache should be stored in a file system file so that it would be available next time I started SSMS. I would also like to be able to set the size of the query history cache as well.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I'd like to see a code formatter (Initcase keywords, insert line breaks and tabs as necessary)

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Thank you, iucon.

That's a feature definitely needed in SSMS 2005.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:07 AM

What about color-coded tabs in SSMS?  Throughout the day I'll probably have 10-20 query windows open, with 3-4 each for some specific project or something I'm working on.  I'll open a new one to try something, then get onto something else, and need to come back.  It's *hard* to find the tab I was working on.  If I could group them somehow, or set the color of similar themed query windows, that would be awesome.  I know there's solutions and projects, but these are usually just ad hoc queries that I don't need to save for later.

Would something like this even be possible with the SSMS addin functionality?

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Personally, I want to write or have  Sql Formmater. Do we have something available now for me to try ?

Regards

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:58 AM

I work with several servers and it's handy to have connections to all of them in the Object Explorer.

The trouble is that every time I start SSMS I have to manually connect to each of them.

Is is possible to create an add-in to automatically connect several servers?

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Integration with Subversion source control would be great!

Thx

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:46 AM

I would it found great if there were a Integration of Subversion at the Object Explorer. So I could select a table or a stored procedure or something like this and choose "commit" or "compare with other version".

That would be realy great. Hope you can realize this.

Thanks.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM

There use to be a feature in Query Anlyzer in 2000 the use of a Ctrl-B to get/grap the window split of the Query Window abd Query Result Window.  Anyway to add a hot-key in SSMS  for this functionality?

May 3, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Object Explorer Tweaks:

Change the default action when you double-click an object.  Currently it expands the tree, but would be awesome if I could make it bring up the ALTER script in a new window.  Now that they changed the right-click "Design" menu item on views in 2008 to open the query designer instead of a TSQL ALTER VIEW script, I really wish I could at least revert to the old functionality.  But assignable double-click actions would be even better.

Option to remove the "dbo." etc schema prefix from the tree view, which would make it easier when typing to find the object, and reduce visual noise when you're not using schemas.

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I'm search for a way to execute a block of code. Now you should select a block and execute. By introducing regions, it would be nice of executing the region you are now in (with a key combination)

It is simple, but it would helps me a lot of mouse clicks. An extra feature would be to define a variable block which is a always executed. Let me know what you think about this feature

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I want to write an SQL Query formatter.

Regards

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:21 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I would like something very quick for switching connections in the active query window (the one whose tab is highlighted).

I often need to switch among servers, and several of our servers also have multiple signons, really slowing things down.

Unfortunately, it's no longer possible to edit the MRU list of the Connection dialog (at one point in time they were clear-text entries in the Registry).

So I can either delete the mru.dat file and lose everything, or struggle with multiple connections and logins.

I would be more than willing (as a user) to give up some screen real estate for a "Connections" toolbar for this purpose, such that each button opened a specific connection / login.  Then I would have 1-click access to switch among connections.

I could also image a panel / pane with one line per connection, again leading to a 1-click solution (in addition to making the panel visible).

(9/29: edited for clarity)

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:06 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2010 at 12:11 PM

harvest316 May 3 at 4:49 AM  RE: Object Explorer Tweaks:

I would like to vote for this feature - most people are advanced users on the whole and it is really annoying to have three steps to change an object like a View, Function or Table. (e.g. (1) Right click a View (2) hover over Alter (3) another menu hover "to window" ).

I work as a Business Intelligence Developer with 50% of my time in SSMS and it is probably going to cause me repetitive strain injury in my mouse hand with all the clicking and menu hovering about hundreds of times a day.

Microsoft must consider a dual-mode SSMS, standard mode that has Designer tools as the default under a "Modify" right-click option on all objects. Power mode which "Modify" generates an ALTER script to the window without fuss.  OR    "Design" - Designer Tool AND "Script" - ALTER to Window.

Cheers

Peter
Liverpool PCT, NHS England

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Our shop is switching to SVN for source control, and I'm looking for an SSMS tie-in to the Solution Explorer.

RedGate has a product that bypasses the solution explorer and so far seems to preclude management of scripts that are anything other than direct equivalents to database objects.

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM

A way of grouping databases under folders.  

As described here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4356527/how-to-group-databases-in-folders-in-sql-server-management-studio 

Yes I know there is SQL Groupie but I doubt my boss will fork out $50 dollars per developer because working in SSMS is not a major part of our day-to-day job.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I'd like an addon so you could expand an index in the Object Explorer window, and the columns should be shown in the tree.

Right now you have to double-click the index. and it shows the columns in a new window. Really bad, you can't get an overview of the indexes...

I don't know if you can hook up new stuff in the tree, but it would be great! Preferably show them in order, followed by included columns (using another icon or something).

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM

@ChrisFewtrell: I've just finihed add-in for grouping databases and other objects under folders (and some more). It's free and is now in testing, will be ready appx. in month. Check it here - http://www.sqltreeo.com.

Jakub.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM
Edited Aug 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I want to be able to change the icons for existing items on the object explorer tree, for example have all procs with names starting with sp_i be a green icon, while sp_d* is  a red icon.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Right click on field with single option for...Primary key, int, identity

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM

@thadk,

There is a hot-key which hides and shows Query Results Window: CTRL+R

Maybe this will be of some help to you.

@harvest316, @jokedst

To search for an object by name part, see table's indexed columns and included index columns, and many other details (like index size in MB, index usage, partitions, column comments, etc) you can use Addin called SQL XDetails at www.sqlxdetails.com

The first page of details has the most important data and is free, forever, and search functionality also. Other pages of information are not free, but the price is really a bargain. Disco enterance probably costs more :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Edited Aug 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Database Diagrams

Right CLick Mouse on table

Add Items in Menu:

1. Design
  2. Select
  3. Edit

PLUGINS for SSMS ?

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Sorting within the Results Grid by clicking on column headings.

Apex SQLEdit and Aqua DataStudio have both done this for years. It's a huge time saver when analysing data results.

Apex SQLEdit also allows grouping in the results grid just by dragging a column heading onto the bar above.

I've used both of these apps for years with these features being a large part of the reason for my choice.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Edited Oct 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Greetings.
Hope this branch still works :)

Recently I used the trial version of one commercial tool that is alternative to native t-sql intellisence for SSMS. Of course, tool has a lot of useful features, however, the only one feature impressed me with it's usability. The feature title sounds like "Highlight occurrences of an identifier".
How it works? For example, when you select variable, parameter or table alias within the SQL Query window, all occurrences of selected identifier become highlighted within the script. It allows to avoid a lot of Ctrl+F and F3 pressing and really reduces time of editing/formating the script, especially if it is a big script and you are not the author of the script and see it first time.
It's not a something new - TOAD, Notepad++, etc. and even VS2010 have such functionality. Unfortunately, SSMS does not have.

Is it possible to create such SSMS Addin?

Thanks, Igor.
Sep 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM
How about an addin that implements (some of) the missing context-menu commands when connected to an Azure DB. I mean, why do I have to open a local DB just to find the 'Import Data' command and then import data to my Azure DB?
Something like 'Select Top 100 Rows' must be equally easy...
These could remove a lot of inconvenience when working with Azure DBs.

Thanks,
Thomas
Jun 5, 2015 at 11:14 PM
It would be great to have a command history buffer.

Configurable... with some stats regarding individual query perf...

mmm... can't you make the security text ( down below ) any more confusing??? :)))))))))
Jun 5, 2015 at 11:27 PM
After deep thinking over what I really am missing, I have to admit, it's mostly my own laziness at typing that is the fundamental reason for the requests.

So, with this taken as a grain of salt, can we please add some additional flexibility to the output grid.

Here is a few suggestions

ability to switch to portrait column layout ( current landscape is good for multi - row, narrow field kind of output )
Typical DBA job involves working with very wide tables, large number of properties, and just one row of output. For such output having ability to pivot by clicking on something like [ | - ] icon - like image to the right of visible form bound at the tail of the row can save minutes, if not hours.

Ability to switch field output from numeric / character symbol to hex. Consider the fact, CSS supports tiled presentation. Binary output sometimes helps to ferret out data vagaries, difficult to catch in character symbol field. Putting those together is a nice tool.

Finally, there is a reporting feature built into output. Zipping report of larger size is currently done in multiple steps. Would be nice to zip report out from output grid.
Nov 3, 2016 at 12:12 AM
Edited Nov 3, 2016 at 12:13 AM
I've been looking for a tool to hide objects in the object explorer that I either don't have access to or don't otherwise don't care to see.

The SQL server I develop on has a fairly large number of databases and roughly half of them I don't have any access to.

There are also a number of individual tables/stored procs/functions that I would prefer to hide for a variety of reasons.

Filtering these out of the object browser would make navigating in object browser noticeably quicker and easier.